Glucose Tolerance Test
What Is Gtt test?
GTT short for Glucose Tolerance Test is a test designed to assess the body response to glucose. In GTT, the patient is given a glucose solution and blood samples are drawn afterword at intervals to measure how well the body cells are able to absorb glucose. There are several variations to the glucose tolerance test used in different conditions but, the most common one of them is the Oral glucose tolerance test or OGTT.
The OGTT is mainly used in the diagnosis of gestational diabetes. For OGTT the patient is required to fast for 8-10 hours and then a fasting plasma glucose is tested after that oral glucose solution is given. After that blood samples can be drawn up to 2-4 times at different intervals to measure the blood glucose. An OGTT is usually performed in the morning as glucose levels usually fall by afternoon.
Why do GTT test?
OGTT used to be the gold standard in the diagnosis of diabetes type 2 but, is now being replaced with other GTT methodologies. The GTT is primarily used for the diagnosis of diabetes, insulin resistance, impaired beta-cell function, carbohydrate metabolism disorder and also reactive hypoglycemia and acromegaly.
Who needs a glucose tolerance test?
The GTT is usually given to pregnant women during the 24th and 28th weeks of pregnancy. This test is also given to pregnant who have diabetes symptoms or have the risk of developing diabetes prior to pregnancy.
Besides that, the GTT is also given to other patients who are experiencing symptoms of varied diseases that can cause high glucose levels in the bloodstream or restrict the proper absorption of glucose by the body cells.
What is the procedure of a glucose tolerance test?
- Have a normal diet like any other day.
- Fasting is required for 8 to 10 hours prior to the test and only water is allowed during this period.
- At first, a zero -time or baseline blood sample is drawn.
- Then the patient is given a specific dose of glucose solution to drink (Usually 75grm)
- After that, the blood samples are drawn at regular intervals to measure the blood sugar levels and also insulin levels in certain cases. The blood sampling can be done as requested by the doctor and could involve up to 6 hours of testing (2-4 times).
- Home Visit Collection Facility not available for GTT Test
- Overnight fasting is required
- Inform the doctor about the varied prescription drugs you are taking, like certain drugs like corticosteroids, diuretics and antidepressants can cause false results.
- Doctor’s prescription may be needed
- The normal test result may vary depending on age, health history, etc.
- The GTT is not to be done on a sick person
Also known as, gtt, gtt test, ogct, ogct test, ogtt, ogtt test, glucose tolerance test, gestational diabetes test, type 2 diabetes test
Checkout for Any Offers & Discount Coupons
Speak or WhatsApp +919766060629
Read our Article On Glucose Tolerance Test
Watch On YouTube